Coxswain Grade 3 - Near Coastal

The Coxswain Grade 3 certificate: provides basic seamanship knowledge and skills, and as at October 2023 it replaces the current Exemption 38 (Low complexity duties) arrangements.

A Coxswain 3 certificate holder may operate small domestic commercial vessels in smooth waters or close to shore.

This qualification is suitable for people who work or want to work as a Coxswain Grade 3 Near Coastal in the maritime industry and command, and operate the engines of a vessel <12 m long.

See course details below (what does a Coxswain Grade 3 allows me to do) for duties and functions of the Coxswain Grade 3

Course Fees: Only $890.00

OR 4 fortnightly payments of only $222.50

Visit the Enrol Now button below for all payment options.

Take your career further with the us!  Related courses available:

Coxswain Cert II Grade NC1
Coxswain Cert I Grade NC2

Course Details

Why Choose (M.T.A) The Marine Training Academy?
  • We are committed to delivering the highest standards of training to ensure you succeed
  • We offer flexible study options
  • We offer flexible payment options
  • Our trainers are professional and experienced seafarers
Entry Requirements

To be eligible to operate under Exemption 38, you must both:

  • Be at least 16 years of age.
  • Tell AMSA in writing about any long term or permanent medical condition likely to affect your ability to work on the vessel – and if required undergo any medical examination AMSA considers necessary.
  • Attend an external HLTAID011 ‘Provide first aid’ course, or bring your current ‘Provide first aid’ statement of attainment or similar certificate.

Depending on the circumstances in which you want to work, you will also need to meet additional medical, eyesight and training requirements. 

What does Coxswain Grade 3 allow me to do?

Duties and functions of the Coxswain Grade 3

A person eligible for, or who holds, a Coxswain Grade 3 certificate, may:

1. Command, and operate the engines of a vessel < 12 m long:

a) carrying no more than 6 persons including crew and master unless the vessel is a tender mentioned in paragraph (d) below; and
b) if the vessel is carrying passengers — only in daylight hours; and
c) with propulsion power:

(i) for an inboard engine — <100 kW; or
(ii) for an outboard engine — <250 kW;

d) if the vessel is a tender that has a parent vessel in the <EEZ and the tender is capable of communicating with the parent vessel:

(i) within 3 n mile of the parent vessel for a person who satisfies eligibility requirement (c) or (e) (completed the specified three units from the MAR Maritime Training Package); and
(ii) within 1 n mile of the parent vessel for a person not mentioned in subparagraph (i); and
(iii) in line of sight of the parent vessel; and

e) if the vessel is not mentioned in paragraph (d) above— in any of the following:

(i) a marina.
(ii) a mooring area in sight and communication of a marina.
(iii) inland waters.
(iv) smooth waters.
(v) waters within 1 n mile of shore.
(vi) waters:

i. of an aquaculture lease approved by a State or Territory; or
ii. approved by a State or Territory for daily transit to and from an aquaculture lease; or
iii. within 1 n mile of a State or Territory approved aquaculture lease.

(vii) waters within 250 m of a structure fixed to the shore.

2. Command and operate the engines of a vessel < 12 m long:

a) that is used only for towing people; and
b) with propulsion power for an inboard or outboard engine of < 500 kW; and
c) in waters approved as a water ski area by a State or Territory authority; and
d) in daylight hours only.

When can I start operating commercially?

Once you have successfully completed the Final Practical Assessment Record you can commence operations under Coxswain Grade 3 (Low complexity duties). 

You only require one day of qualifying sea service on a commercial vessel, and we may be able to assist you with this.
A Coxswain grade 3 NC Declaration form AMSA 1882 to show you have completed the practical on water tasks.
You need to submit at least one of the following as proof of qualifying sea service:

Record of sea service form 771
the on board sea service record from your task book
a letter from the vessel operator, owner, master or chief engineer detailing your sea service
an approved sea service log book.

What documents do I need to bring to my course?
  • Identification – Drivers Licence or current passport
  • Current ‘First Aid’ statement of attainment
  • Eyesight test certificate: 
    • All applicants need to have a qualified medical practitioner / optometrist test their eyes and complete the Eyesight Test Certificate form which can found on the AMSA Website
AMSA - More Information

Please see further AMSA Coxswain Grade 3 information: CLICK HERE 

Find Out More

Generous NSW funding options
have just opened up. 

    Are you interested in funding options? (NSW only)

    I'm Interested in: